Thursday, May 26, 2011

simply beautiful

Our family of robins has been quite busy this month of May. The four blue eggs hatched early in the month, and both Mama and Papa robin worked tirelessly for 2 weeks to keep them fed. Then, just a few hours shy of their 2 week birthday, all four babies were out of the nest and hopping into the wild new world of adulthood. I'm so glad we have a bit more time to grow up before we have to fend for ourselves!

These little guys grew so quickly!

Mama's poppies.
I've always wanted a field of poppies.
...but at this point in life, I'm thankful for a flowerbed full. :)

Isn't this orange color jolly?!


These cheerful flowers have been such a sweet sunshine to our front bed. I love seeing how perky they are when the sun shines radiantly. When the skies are grey, they stay closed, patiently waiting for the clear blue sky and sunshine to return.

Another sign of the better days now here is home-made hummus. While my (Erik) cousin, Liz, was visiting recently, we experimented with three new concoctions that all turned out to be quite different, but all very delicious. Here's the run down (I can send more specific recipes if anyone is interested):

Each batch had the same base - garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon and lime juice, tahini, olive oil, water, salt and pepper. The first added roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, curry and extra lemon and lime juice. This was my favorite.


The second included cucumber, cumin, fresh cilantro and a little yogurt. This gave it a Greek taste and had a much thinner consistency.

The third and final included ricotta cheese, balsamic vinegar and a little extra olive oil and salt. This was Jane's favorite.

1 comment:

  1. Our family loves hummus and I would be interested in the recipes to try out. :) The red pepper one sounds especially yummy!

    When you get a minute could you send them to my e-mail? I'll send it to you on facebook.

    Thanks!
    ~Rachel Johnson

    ReplyDelete